Thursday, June 30, 2011

One Year Anniversary... Thank you Thunder!

One year ago today I was on a plane to Spokane, Washington to be the replacement drum major for the Thunder Drum & Bugle Corps. For those who don't know the story, here is an explanation of what happened.

Last summer I was not planning on marching corps due to the fact the 09 season was such a rough one for me. I didn't want anything to do with it. So in 2010, I was not going to march... or so I thought. I first received a phone call from my old director at Capital Sound, Marc Gofstein. He asked what my plans were for the summer. After I told him I was just going to be working, he said to expect a phone call from Bill. Bill Clark was the old brass instructor at Capital Sound.

No later than 5 minutes talking to Marc, I got the call. I knew something had to be up, but I did not know what exactly. Bill informed me that the drum major at Thunder needed emergency surgery and they needed a replacement drum major. They could of taken someone from the corps to fill the spot, but the corps was already small in size and it would of only hurt them.

After talking to Bill and also the corps director, Bill Harvey, and the assistant corps director, James Laymen, we figured out what was going to happen. The next morning... REAL early, I was on my way to Chicago to catch my flight. I went from Chicago to Salt Lake City and then caught my connection to Spokane. I was so nervous because I did not know what to expect. I barely ate anything all day and by the time I got to Washington it was late. I felt sick to my stomach. I did not know what to expect, if it was going to be the same as my previous year doing corps, etc. Nothing felt better getting out of the car at the school and people rushing out to meet me.

The first person to say anything to me was Michael aka McLovin. I love this kid and he is like the brother I will never have. I remember it clearly. He said, "Are you our new drum major?" I said yes and then he ran to me and gave me a hug. I knew I was going to be in good hands and that this summer was going to be amazing. (Ya, I bet you don't remember that Michael, do you!)

And yes, the three week tour was amazing.It was pretty hard leaving this group. Everyone says that at the end of the season, but for me, I will more than likely never see these guys again. Unless they march a different group and I bump into them that way. All I know is that I had one of the best experiences in my life and the memories I had will always be in my mind. So on this one year anniversary, I want to give a giant thanks to you Thunder DBC! You brought my passion fro drum corps back to where it once was. I wish you guys a great season as your first show is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment