Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I can dream... right?

So the past week I have been having a lot of drum corps dreams. Each dream has been with a different corps and a different position. One of them I was marching with the Crossmen as a trumpet. Sweet dream, cool show and we even made Finals. Another dream I was marching with the Santa Clara Vanguard in the cymbal line. Talk about having a fantasy dream. In the dream I marched their 2011 show, The Devil's Staircase. Weird how I pictured everything with the drill, music, guard, etc. We shall see what they really do this year. Along with those two I had a dream I was back with my Thunder family for my age-out. I was drum major once again, all the staff was back, all the members (even the age-outs from 2010) and we were about triple in size. Not only did I get to march with them for my age-out, but we got to do a full tour and we medaled at Finals. That would of been probably the best moments of my life. A few days ago I had a dream that I was a guard member with Crown. It was my age-out and I got to march it with my good friend Matt Carfagna. Ever since 2009 we joked about how we are going to age-out together, be on the field at the age-out ceremony and just have an amazing season. Sadly enough that will not happen...





People that know I have marched ask me why don't I go march my age-out. Some of them know, some of them don't. Every time I have to explain to someone how I have to have an internship to graduate college I get really down and wish I can just fore-go the internship. I hear friends and other people who have/plan on marching talk about if they want to march. I am jealous of them. I would give up almost anything to march just one more year, especially my age-out. It is rare to find something this early in your life that you are passionate about. Some people it takes them there whole life figuring it out. However, I know that my degree and career are going to be more valuable in the long run.



Speaking of internships, I am waiting for my interview with Drum Corps International  (DCI) sometime this month. This would be that dream internship. For some people it might be interning in New York, Chicago, L.A., over seas, etc. For me, it is staying in my state and interning in Indianapolis. Many people don't know, but Indianapolis is the marching music capital of the world. If I could get this internship this summer with DCI it will mean so much to me. I would still be a part of drum corps even though I am not marching. Even though I would give up anything to march, I think this is the next best thing. I can get a jump start into my career and do so by being with an organization which means so much to me.  Fingers are crossed as I wait for my interview date to be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment