Friday, March 11, 2011

More dreams... about drum corps. Learning Drill, Good Morning Wake-Up Calls, Ninja Pillow Fights, MOSABH!

So again last night I had a dream about drum corps... Ya, I know surprise surprise. This blog is about how I had an amazing, yet short, time with Capital Sound Drum & Bugle Corps. The dream I had was a mix of my experiences that I spent with Cap Sound.

My dream jumped around from camp to camp, but I am going to talk about the best/most memorable camp I had with Cap Sound. This camp was the first one we had the chance to start learning drill. It was either in March or April, I can not remember. We were all pumped even before camp started; however, the weather was not the best. Lovely cold and flurries all camp. That did not stop us! I thought it was funny because some of our corps members were from Enterprise, Ala. and not use to this lovely weather. They did not pack properly. People ended up swapping clothes for the weekend. Even people who didn't need help staying warm ended up switching and trading articles of clothing with others. Nothing like seeing guys having girls shorts on over their sweatpants and girls wearing a baggy male hoodie.

Probably one of the best part of Cap Sound, was Marc Gofstein. If you march corps you have that one staff member that does something special that makes being there worth wild and memorable. This camp we had history night and Marc explained about the corps. It was a little pep talk to get us motivated for the camp and for the season. The great thing about being at Cap Sound was that every night Marc went around after lights were out making sure we were in bed and heading to sleep. However, he talked, but with inspirational things to put us in a good mood so the next day starts off on the right foot. Then in the morning Marc was the one who woke us up. Over the years I have tried out, been with and marched with five corps and I have had no waking up experience like Cap Sound. Marc turned the gym lights on, but gym lights turn on slowly though. Marc walked around the gym whistling. Something about it just put you in a good mood. Way better than having someone turn the lights on and yelling "Good Morning ......" I will have to say I would do anything to have this experience again. I might sound a little crazy, but it is a great feeling.

At the same camp we started learning drill we also shared a housing site with the Madison Scouts. I was so excited that camp that "the big boys" were going to be there with us. We shared few meals with them, yet that was not the best part. I remember one night we were told by the staff how it was a tradition to have a pillow fight with the Scouts. We begged with our staff to talk to the Scouts staff to see if it was ok if we ambushed into their sleeping area and start a full out pillow fight. Things were set. About 30 mins after lights out for the Scouts we got ready. I remember Heather "Heathen" Cotney rounding our corps up. Sure explained the plan and how we had to be like ninjas. We even had to have our "proper" attire. It was pretty much our shirt wrapped around our heads. It was hilarious! After everyone was prepared, we attacked the Scouts. O, I forgot to mention... we were out numbered 4 to 1. This battle was so epic and so much fun! At one point I had to go rescue two girls in the corps as they were surrounded by eight or more Scouts. You should probably know, the Scouts are an all-guy corps. So I ran toward them yelling, "You don't beat up on girls, especially my girls!!!" After so battering back in forth we got both staffs involved. This went on for about an hour.




VS








                                       









However, all good things come to an end... right? Then in May we all found out Cap Sound was folding and was not going to field a corps for the 2008 season. It was heart crushing and probably one of the hardest things I had to cope with. However, all things happen for a reason and it has built me into the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment