Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Right Choice

I always here my professors talk in class that we made the right choice coming to Ball State. However, Ball State was not my first choice school, nor second, third or fourth. When I was applying to colleges senior year Ball State was not even on the radar. My mom suggested that I apply to Ball State because that is where she went along with my aunts, uncles, grandpa and my great grandpa. I applied to  Penn State, Marquette, Northwestern, Arizona, Butler and of course Ball State. All in ranking order of where I wanted to go. I was looking into going into pre-med and hopefully onto becoming a dentist. Yea, me... a dentist. Crazy to think that I was going to go into that.


Out of all the schools I applied to, Northwestern was the only place I did not get into. Then the reason I decided to come to Ball State was that I did not get enough scholarships from the other universities to be able to pay for it. I would of loved to gone else where, but things happen for a reason.

Once I got to Ball State I started off in the medical field as a major; however, after one semester of classes I wanted to switch my major. Not because it was hard or I could not do it, but because I did not enjoy what I was doing. I received good grades in the math and science classes, but I still just could not see myself in this field.

So I looked around at different options for a new major. I first was looking to go into history, but after some research I found out that I would have to go to graduate school and even with that finding a job would be hard. I kept on looking for a major. I looked into education, but I was not 100% sure or not.

After talking to some friends and my parents I was suggested to look and try public relations. I really did not know what public relations was, what kind of jobs I was able to get, but I gave it a try. However, it was probably the best decision I have ever made.

After one semester of taking some journalism classes at Ball State I discovered that Ball State's public relations department was ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Ball State is also bringing innovation into the classroom and professors are teaching us ways to do things that are not being taught else where. Yesterday at the Ball State PRSSA meeting we had BLASTmedia come in and speak to our chapter. They said that Ball State is so ahead of all the universities in Indiana and most of the ones in the United States. Having them say that just put the biggest smile on my face and I wanted to get out into the work place right then and there.

I am a firm believer that all things happen for a reason and I am glad that I came to Ball State. If I went to any of the other schools I would be miserable because I would of not followed this same road I am going down now. Things can only get better from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment